[Lapham-Marquette PTG] Lapham After-School Clubs ending next semester!

Maria Ruiz ruiz5of12 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 19:40:54 EST 2017

An idea: A permanently running Chess Club would be a great after school
club for Lapham, and Marquette. Chess clubs have shown to boost academic
skills in general, and has proven if I'm not mistaken to be an effective
tool in reducing achievement gap/racial academic disparities.
Ideally, a professional, could be hired to be the chess coach, with help of
parent volunteers, but other alternatives include hiring a UW student. If a
parent were knowledgable with how to teach and conduct a chess club, that
could be a starter as well.
Would be relatively low cost with big gains.
Many other Madison schools have running chess clubs.

--
- Maria V. Ruiz