[Lapham-Marquette PTG] Art Room

David Tooley detooley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:36:02 EDT 2016

Thank you to everyone that responded to my post. I wanted to let you know
that I emailed Tammy the letter below. Thanks particularly to Marjorie for
allowing me to use her name and her prior emails on the subject. I
encourage anyone who wants to see art back in the art room to email Tammy
with your concerns.

Hi Tammy,

I wanted to bring a matter of concern to your attention. I've recently
learned that the art room was moved to the basement. After hearing the
news, I asked if any Lapham parents knew about this, and I received a
response from Marjorie Van Beek who shared with me her email to you last
June regarding her concerns and also your response.

I am extremely upset about this. The art room is one of the best features
of Lapham. It was the room my child, Quinn, had the best experiences in
last year. Moving it to an low-natural-light, ill-fitted basement suggests
that Art is not considered as important as other subjects. In fact, in your
letter to Marjorie, you referred to a need to create more "academic"
spaces. The dismissal of art as non-academic is just as disturbing to me as
the moving of the room. Furthermore, I don't understand why we need more
classroom space this year when the number of classes have been
significantly reduced. Can we not simply use the now vacant classrooms for
other instruction? And why can't the art room be mixed use? Can the
activities not be scheduled around each other? Also, to add the expense of
installing sinks to create a new art room seems wasteful when those already
exist in the current room. Why are we changing a room that works so well
and that is loved by both students and parents?

Finally, I feel there was a lack of transparency with the decision to move
the art room. It happened very quickly without many parents knowing about
it or having an opportunity to give input or suggestions before the move
occurred. In my recent discussions with other Lapham parents, I know my
concerns reflect those of others as well.

I would like to ask you to please return art class to the art room this
academic year. I will volunteer as much of my time as needed to restore it,
and I know that a number of other concerned parents will also be ready
help. I look forward to your response.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my (our) concern

David Tooley