[Lapham-Marquette PTG] PTG September meeting notes; next meeting 10/13

Sarah Herrick sarahsunfish at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 5 09:26:41 EDT 2015

 Hello,
Below you will find the notes from last month's PTG meeting.  The next meeting is Tuesday, October 13th at 6pm - free pizza and childcare at every PTG meeting.
The upcoming meeting will be a no pressure opportunity to learn about volunteer opportunities. The PTG is looking for people to be on committees, to volunteer to help with specific events, or to fill a couple of roles on the PTG board. Your interests, talents and time are greatly appreciated!
Hope to see you there,Sarah HerrickPTG Secretary

SEPTEMBER MEETING NOTES:

|             Date:     September 15, 2015     |             Number of Attendees:              adults ( staff) - 50ish    kids- 10 |
|             Topic:     Welcome to the PTG; World Cafe; new ideas for the upcoming year         |             Next Meeting:    October 13, 2015Focus: Committees and EventsPizza and Childcare     |

All parents and teachers are considered to be a part of PTG.Everyone is welcome at each meeting.
BIG THANKS goes to Salvatore’s Tomato Pies for providing the pizza for this meeting! UPCOMING EVENTS:Lapham-Marquette Families – You are invited:
Fall Celebration Potluck at the Lapham Outdoor Classroom & Community Garden
Saturday, September 26 12–2pm*
– Bring your kids and a nut-free dish to pass, we will supply pizza prepared with veggies that the kids harvested from Lapham’s garden!
– We will also provide Outdoor Classroom tours upon request. We are eager to share all the new features of this wonderful outdoor space with you and your family.
– *Rain date: Sunday, September 27, 12–2pm – watch PTG listserv and Facebook page if the weather is iffy.
BUSINESS MEETING & COMMITTEE UPDATES - *PLEASE BOLD ANY ACTION ITEMS*Board Members in Attendance: Emily Sonneman, Sarah Herrick; Jessie Chmell; Stephanie Stiegerwaldt; Grant Foster; Saltanata Childress; Liz Amundson; Sarah Williams; Cheryl The World Cafe went well; Fundraising didn’t get any dots, but is necessary for any of the other things to be possible; allowed folks to discuss outside of the big group.Finances:
   - $27,000 budgeted
   - Bank account around $25,000ish; need to do better in using to raising ratio.
   - Spprox. &$7,000 for teacher appreciation; $2,000 website and childcare; $5,000 for garden;
   - Last year budgeted $7100 for grants spent $6100
5 Grant Requests:
   - Terry Belz and Tammy refurbish sensory objects $500

   - Grant will follow up with Terry for more info

   - Need more specifics on what is needed at what cost?

   - Lisa Schuster expanding book room $1500

   - if PTG doesn’t fund is there money to refurbish book room?
   - Grant and Liz will follow up with more information

   - TAG teacher $500 for book room - higher level books

   - Grant and Liz will follow up with more information
   - Can Lapham/Marquette share higher level material?

   - Barb Chusid 26 ukuleles $784 - matched by WILMAR

   - Grant motions to approve this request; 2nd by Emily; Approved!

   - $360 for afterchool clubs

   - Latin Dance
   - Marital Arts
   - Could parents pay and PTG subsidize those who can’t pay?
   - Saltanata will get more details

   - $500 for international food fair
Last year grant program was new and not everyone knew about it - we had more money than grant requests. It may be more popular going forward, what criteria should we use if we need to start saying no to some requests?
   - Are there other funding sources for the project/grant? Other ways for request to be fulfilled?
   - Do we spread money throughout the year?

   - Spring and fall deadlines

   - Sustainability? Long-term maintenance plan?
   - Lapham/Marquette balance
   - Grants that support the time, energy, and effort others are willing to put in - matching the (time, energy) investment of the requester.
Action item: A sub-committee will work to come up with the formal criteria outside of the regular meeting.*Non “committee” action item: Treasurer to request some regular system for tallying funds per event.  Google Doc to share.Saltanat would liek to explore the idea paying professionals (eg dancers, martial arts etc.) to lead clubs charging parents a small fee to participate with PTG subsidizing cholarships for those that can’t pay; Afterschool clubs have a $1500 line item – funding could come from that.  Action Item: Saltanat will follow up with club committee on these ideas.International food Fair – ticket sales fund the event; Some money could be given to the families that prepare food to offset the cost. Event in March or February.October meeting:
   - Events and committees
   - Communications
   - November will be topic meeting
   - Calendaring of events and fundraising
Sarah Williams looked into distributing the Teacher stipend checks for Lapham directly to the teachers.  Was told it might be against district policy. Sarah has reviewed the district policy and doesn’t agree - PTG will give the stipend checks directly to the teachers.Action item: Jessie will send out summary communications about world caféBoard members can be added as needed up to 15 people.Action Item: Saltanat and Emily need to update events spreadsheet for Kindergarten coffee and ice cream social.AFTER SCHOOL CLUBSclubs at marquette-ptg.org    Liz will have something to share at the meeting re:progress this year for fall clubs and plans for communcations.    COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE: communications at lapham-marquette-ptg.org        EQUITY/FAMILY SUPPORT COMMITTEEfamily_support at lapham-marquette.org    FUNDRAISING COMMITTEEfundraising at lapham-marquette-ptg.org        Look into district’s email to principals about funds available (see Grant’s email from early summer.)
GARDEN AND GREEN TEAM UPDATE    Please contact Stephanie Steigerwaldt, Lapham Garden & Green Team Lead with questions: steigerwaldt(at)hotmail.com

Lapham-Marquette Families – You are invited:
Fall Celebration Potluck at the Lapham Outdoor Classroom & Community Garden
Saturday, September 26 12–2pm*
– Bring your kids and a nut-free dish to pass, we will supply pizza prepared with veggies that the kids harvested from Lapham’s garden!
– We will also provide Outdoor Classroom tours upon request. We are eager to share all the new features of this wonderful outdoor space with you and your family.
– *Rain date: Sunday, September 27, 12–2pm – watch PTG listserv and Facebook page if weather is iffyArt in the Garden Overture Center ExhibitionSeptember 8 – October 24, 2015Lapham’s Art in the Garden ceramic tile community project is featured at the Overture Center for the Arts Playhouse Gallery. Stop by to view photos, stories, and display items from all the participants!
Art in the Garden Overture Center ReceptionSunday, October 4, 2:00-4:00pmThis family-friendly event at the Overture Center Playhouse Gallery will feature garden art activities and snacks, as well as a chance to meet other AiG participants and talk about making art in the garden.
Volunteer During Your Child’s Outdoor Classroom Visit (September/October)
Teachers bring their students to the Outdoor Classroom several times through the end of October to engage in various garden-based learning activities. No gardening experience necessary! Contact our GiR, Erin Moriearty, at erin at communitygroundworks.org to find out when your child’s class will visit and how to volunteer.Join Lapham’s Garden & Green TeamCome to our monthly meetings which focus on garden maintenance and planning, garden event planning, funding and classroom programming. We are working out our meeting schedule now and will share via PTG listserv and Facebook page when details are finalized.
Come to our Fall  Community Work Day & Picnic (October/November)Garden tasks include putting the garden to bed for the winter: clearing the beds of debris, mulching and rebuilding our compost windrow. Learn about composting, get a tour of the garden and enjoy a bit of autumn’s final offering.
LUNCH/SNACK/NUTRITION COMMITTEE    lunch_committee at lapham-marquette-ptg.org
TEACHER APPRECIATION COMMITTEEneeds contact person…Need to discuss the payment protocol for Lapham Teachers?