[Lapham-Marquette PTG] Fwd: Families United for Public Education -- Meeting Feb 8

Sarah Williams sfwill68 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 21:36:35 EST 2015

Hi friends,

This group has started up in our neighborhood - mostly from Lowell at this
point - and looking for passionate souls to join the PAA Chapter for our
school district.  Read below for more details.

Sarah

Hi everyone,

Help us spread the word for our upcoming meeting on Sun, Feb 8.  We don’t
yet have enough people for most of the working groups (besides opt out) but
hopefully this will help us create more sustainable groups.  So…please send
this announcement out far and wide – on school listserves, to friends,
etc.  And invite people to our new Facebook page.  (And post away on the
page…)

Also, if any of you want the full list of emails in our group, just email
me and I’ll send them to you.  I want to keep bcc-ing people so we don’t
have long email chains going around.

Laurie (and Steve)

*Families United for Public Education – Meeting February 8, 7:30 p.m.*

A group of parents, primarily from Lowell Elementary, has been forming a
new organization, Families United for Public Education.  Our goals are to
unite and empower parents to be strong advocates for academically rich,
nurturing school environments for all students in our public schools.

We’ve created four working groups:

1)      Opt Out (encouraging parents to say no to high-stakes testing)

2)      Follow the Money (fighting privatization in the form of vouchers
and charters)

3)      Fight Racial Inequity (confronting and closing Dane County’s racial
disparity gap)

4)      Support Our Teachers (helping teachers get the time, training, and
resources they need to reach every student)

We plan to become a chapter of Parents Across America
<http://www.parentsacrossamerica.org/>, which advocates:  1) proven
research-based reforms such as reducing class size and supporting strong,
experienced teachers; 2) sufficient and equitable funding; 3) diverse,
inclusive schools and classrooms; and 4) meaningful parent involvement.

We’re now expanding our group, and we’ll have a larger meeting on Sunday,
February 8 at 7:30 p.m. (location to be decided soon).

If you’d like to get involved, please email Laurie Zimmerman at
lauriezim at gmail.com or Steve Kantrowitz at skantrow at me.com.  Let us know if
there’s a working group you’d like to join or whether you’d just like to
come to a first meeting.

We’re starting a Facebook page – like us at Families United for Public
Education--Madison, WI.

Hope to see you –

Laurie and Steve