[Lapham-Marquette PTG] Follow up from race to equity discussion - some informal thoughts

Puleo, Simon simon.puleo at hp.com
Mon Apr 28 13:20:36 EDT 2014

I have been reflecting on this thread for the past month and wanted to share some simple thoughts on informal ways we can help provide diversity and equality for our children.

When my family moved from NYC to Madison what I noticed very quickly is that there is very different public playground culture in Madison compared to NYC. In NYC most everyone lives in apartments so it makes sense that a large percentage of people bring their children to public playgrounds.  The playground in NYC is a diverse landscape of children from different backgrounds and races playing together.  Now I recognize that it is not ideal and there is favoritism and some playgrounds are not as mixed as others, but they are public and I was never turned away. My children almost always found other kids to play with and the parents always found some relief on the boundary.

Madison has several playgrounds some of which draw a diverse group of children like Tenney and Villas on weekends.  What I have noted is that a simple way to integrate children is to get our children out of the isolation of our backyards and neighborhoods and bring them to public parks to play on weekends or whenever it is possible.  Just the other day at Tenney park, there were at least 3 different nationalities of kids playing at the playground, speaking non-English languages and wearing different clothing.

I recognize that this is not a formal program of any kind, but encouraging our children to interact in diverse environments can be a stepping stone to equality.  Hope to see you at the playground sometime soon!

Simon