[Lapham-Marquette PTG] Lapham -- swimming in gym-- Jean still seeking helpers

Liz Amundson lizamunds at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 21:26:28 EDT 2013

Hi--

our wonderful gym teacher Jean Lange has asked for PTG's help in recruiting parents to help with swimming in gym. Swimming starts NEXT WEEK (week of 4/8).

It is a terrific experience for kids, and for the parent helpers too. I did it last year every week-- and found it to be fun and rewarding. Many of the kindergarteners had not been swimming before. Many of them were already swimmers. Jean does a super job guiding them (and us parents) in stroke practice across the pool the short way-- and giving tips for the parent helpers on what to watch for/help with. While on paper this whole thing may seem crazy challenging, in actuality last year I found it  to be truly terrific and a very successful, positive thing. Whatwill keep that true is enough parent helpers!

Did you know the Lapham pool is officially a 'warm water pool'? It is warmer than most hotel pools I've been in. Truly.

Reply to this email if you want to chime in about your past experience-- and do so as well if you'd like more parent perspectives on the logistics of volunteering. Jean welcomes email questions too, of course.

Here's what Jean said in her backpack mail letter sent home a couple of weeks ago:

As always, parents are welcome to visit anytime.  I look forward to working with your child in the pool.
If you have any questions please let me know, jalange at madison.k12.wi.us, or 204-4158.

Jean Lange

Swimming will begin the week of April 8-12th.  Each class is 30 minutes.  The days and times are:

Tues

Freng  8am
Thalacker  8:30
Anton  9am
Beery -10am
Hodkiewicz  10:30

Wed

Riddle 8:45
Koenig 10:15
Prajapati noon
Lorge 12:45

Thurs
Beale noon
Stevens 12:30
Baker 1pm

*****
-Liz (Communications Chair for PTG 2012-2013)