[Lapham-Marquette PTG] PTG meeting tomorrow--advocacy information

Matthew Calvert calvert.matthew at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 16:03:14 EST 2009

Lapham/Marquette PTG

I'm not going to be able to attend the PTG meeting at Lapham Tuesday
evening. There are going to be roundtable discussions on a variety of topics
and I was supposed to host the advocacy discussion. I've sent a little
information about two ongoing activities which will be available at the
meeting
1--the East Attendance Area PTO Coalition, which brings together
representatives of all of the elementary and middle schools that feed East
High to discuss common issues. I've been representing us there for several
years and I think it would be good to find a co-representative.
2--state school finance reform, which is a big issue, but one that will
likely have some opportunities for concrete action over the next few months.

So, if anyone is interested in hosting or participating in a discussion, go
for it. Any other topics are fair game, too, of course.

What I will be doing on Tuesday is attending the first meeting of the
district's Strategic Planning Committee, which will really get underway at
the end of January. I'd like to hear any input you might have that I can
share with that committee. I think the three points emphasized by the East
Area PTO Coalition--maintaining neighborhood schools, pursuing an equity
policy, and improving district-community communication, especially around
decision-making, are good places to start. Let me know what you think.

Matt